Rotary International (RI) is a worldwide organization of business and professional people who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world.
Rotary International manages the online presence and back-office systems supporting The Rotary Foundation's donation collection and processing.
Previously, making donations to the Rotary Foundation took place through a frustratingly slow and inefficient multi-page system. When donors visited a Rotary project page, they were redirected to a different website, which was not the best user experience. Donors also struggled to select the appropriate fund among Rotary’s many possible donation avenues, even when directed there from a campaign-specific site.
Amazee Labs worked together with Rotary International to create a custom donation app that could live on any of Rotary’s many web properties and make the donation process simple, straightforward, and elegant.
Rotary’s new donation workflow had two main goals -- make the donation process faster, with fewer clicks and fewer steps and allow the donor to contribute to a campaign from any Rotary campaign site.
The widget needed to integrate with Rotary’s many internal processes (finance, membership, fundraising) which would dynamically feed the widget data (exchange rates, member access, and fund IDs) based on the user’s access level or selections and then return that donation information to the different systems.
The donation app also needed to be easily customisable by Rotary’s content editors, allowing editors and campaign managers to spin up and publish new, custom donation widgets. React provided the progressive decoupling functionality needed to integrate all the different API endpoints and the frontend functionality needed for the interactive styling, all while the existing Drupal backend works quietly away beneath the surface.
Building a new donation system that could be adapted to any fundraiser, cause, or web property with features including:
- Give to featured funds, endowments, or grants
- Give a one-time or recurring donation
- Dedicate a gift in honour or memory of someone
- Notify someone of dedication via E-card
- Give on behalf of a Rotary club or its members
- Give as a guest or signed-in user
- Review donation summary prior to submission
- Receive immediate, detailed confirmation of donation
- Self-service recurring donations via MyRotary profile
- Customizable pre-set amounts (with location-based currency settings)
- Integration with RaiseNow to comply with PCI requirements and support global fundraising
Implement an efficient UX and design workflow
By using progressive decoupling with React and Drupal, Amazee Labs built a donation app that can live on any Drupal site without redirecting users. It’s currently being used on the main page as well as on the page heading up donations for the End Polio campaign. Rotary teams can add and customize this React donation app without calling in a dev team. This means individual administrators can select the parts of the app that make it relevant, uncluttered, and easy for their users and customized for different pages.
Our UX/Design team designed and user-tested new workflows that were simpler for Rotary’s older demographic to easily navigate. The design itself is light and simple, hiding a complex workflow of interactive and feature-filled donation flows.
Online donations and donor satisfaction have never been higher.
The new user experience is FANTASTIC! Instant notification to donor and honoree, ability to customize and personalize the ecard, I love it! Congratulations to all involved. This [platform] was a long time coming and the team absolutely nailed it!
Brian King, Director of Membership Development
- Created a robust, customizable donation experience that is elegant, dynamic, responsive, and easy-to-use
- Designed and tested new workflows that are simpler for Rotary’s older demographic to easily navigate
- Enabled editors to create new, custom donation widgets on different web properties
- Improved workflow allows donors to guide their own donation experience by selecting different options and seeing only the features and functionality they need
- The flexible interactive system allows donors to give a one-time or a recurring (annual, quarterly, or monthly) donation, gift on behalf of a club or other members, in honour or memorial of someone, and all in any number of currencies
- A self-service portal for users to view, edit, or change their recurring donations