Drupal Europe 2018 - Wednesday
The third day of Drupal Europe was a big day, we had the prenote and the Driesnote with some exciting announcements, the group photo, and a lot of interesting sessions.
Our big day started at 8:15 with the prenote, which is very important because it shows you how awesome this community is. We were singing together and laughing very loudly about some "geek" jokes which would seem strange to others but not to us because we are living those jokes each day. The prenote is important because it makes you feel that you're not lonely, but you have all this family from around the world.
At every Drupal conference, Dries Buytaert, the leader of the Drupal project, shares updates on the current state of Drupal and makes some announcements on the way forward.
He first spoke about the Drupal 8.6 release which has some great content management improvements, which can be discovered here. Then the announcement party started and here are some of the highlights:
- The adoption of React and JSON API to build a new decoupled administration UI.
- Drupal 9 will be released in 2020.
- Drupal 7 will have an end of life by 2021.
- Drupal 8 will too have an end of life by 2021, but it will be an easy upgrade to Drupal 9.
- Drupal.org <3 Gitlab: drupal.org code will be moved to Gitlab.
- There will be a Drupalcon next year organized by the Drupal Association and it will be held in Amsterdam.
After those exciting announcements, everybody went outside the Darmstadtium for the Group Photo which was taken by our own, Josef Dabernig.
Talking about Josef, he had a great a session entitled "Upgrading vs. Upcycling - How to stay ahead of the curve". It covered the life cycle of a Drupal project, how to audit your Drupal website, and which improvements you can propose to clients.
Last but not least, after such an exciting day, we went to do our Amazeeng "Team Dinner" and finished off our big day with lots of fun.
- Michael the CTO of our group will be speaking about Decoupled Drupal: Implications, risks and changes from a business perspective at 10:30.
- Stew will be speaking about Improving the Editor Experience: Paragraphs FTW at 13:45.
- And Philipp our GraphQL master will talk about Decoupling Drupal with GraphQL & Twig at 14:45.